Wildlife. not Wild Life. Though, it might be the same for some. I suppose that has a lot to do with perspective.
I've seen more deer than I ever imagined. Just 2 days ago, I was resting in my room contemplating a nap when I heard my roomate gasp in the other room. I paused... a mouse? a spider? something serious? "Susan! There's a deer 5 feet outside my window!" I tiptoed into her room. (remember how quiet it is here? I wasn't kidding) I didn't want to spook it but I wanted to see. Sure enough, there was a doe not 5 feet outside her window. And then.... 2 fawns followed slowly behind her. We quietly watched, amazed, before they wandered off. It was the middle of the afternoon.
My first night here I made a quick trip to Kingston for basic groceries, passing a deer on the way. She was just hanging out in someone's yard. I'm not sure if it was the same deer but I passed another on my way back that night.
Just this morning, I saw a doe and her fawn during my run. I passed them on three different occassions. Or, who knows, maybe it was a different doe and fawn but I doubt it.
Butterflies flitter around...lingering longer than they would normally. This happened on my drive up, too. I stopped for gas in Virginia and noticed a butterfly perched on the hood of my car. I stopped, taking note, thinking it would fly off any second. It didn't. It stayed the entire time I pumed gas.... as if it were my new hood ornament. It finally fluttered off when I popped my hood to check the oil.
There is a constant symphony of crickets, cicadas, and other chirping creatures. It swells at night but plays all day long.
A lot of you kept asking me before I left if I was excited or if it had sunk in yet. I was excited. I am excited. It just isn't in the anxious butterflies-in-your-stomach kind of way. It felt like the natural thing to do. And it still does. For whatever reason, I am supposed to be here.
Now I am simply soaking in God's glory that seemingly surrounds me, sometimes 5 feet outside my window, sometimes on my run, and sometimes perched on my car like a hood ornament. Maybe it's all in my new perspective since I'm in a new environment. Or maybe it's just God smiling on me, encouraging me with little surprises to let me know I am exactly where He wants me. Either way, I'm grateful and joyful for the opportunity and trying to make the best of it.
(again, I promise pictures soon. I just keep forgetting that one cord.)
No comments:
Post a Comment