Sunday, August 29, 2010

gypsies

Not much to report.
I'm here.
I'm working.
I haven't been eaten by a bear or gone entirely stir crazy mad. (yet. if it rains again, beware.)

News? Gypsies! that play kicking music!

Turns out the Byrdcliffe Property Manager is a talented little musician and is part of a gypsy band. We happened to hear a tuba (he plays a tuba) drifting into the house the other night, realize that it was their band rehearsal.... so what'd we do?

Crash it.

We grabbed our beer and went down to the barn where they were rehearsing. It was such an enchanting experience I don't even have words for it. The barn was all clean and glitzed up since there was a wedding there this weekend... twinkle lights all over the place. And these gypsies (who aren't really)... an accordion, a tuba, a violin, and one handheld drum instrument (maybe Russian?). It was absolutely gloriously happy. We drank our beer in perfect contentment, happy as larks, bouncing around enjoying their beautiful and jovial sound.

They had a gig in town the next night. We ventured out to hear them. They had an amazing performance but it didn't have the same vibe. They are fairly new and are adamant about sticking to the streets. They will play gigs, house parties, various venues, etc but refuse to engage virtually. No facebook, no youtube, no digital. It's a refreshing change in thought.

I'm planning on buying their CD so I can carry the gypsy joy home with me.

Other than that:
We went hiking this morning. stunningly beautiful.
I'm making work... and trying to get out of my new found artistic existential crisis.
*but, as my best friend put it... "if you had the answers you'd be done... enjoy the process" and she's right. and I am. mostly. sometimes art making is a painful process... I do seem to have some semblance of a direction now, though, and that is a glorious beautiful thing.*

That's all for now. If my hiking post didn't satiate your picture lust, you can find more on my flickr. It's a pain to upload photos through blogger so I'll probably just link to flickr from now on.

I love and miss everyone back home!!

No comments:

Post a Comment