The whole point of running away from home was to focus and get some work done. Right? right.
Well, you'll be proud to know that is actually happening! I am managing to fight my way out of my funk and make some new work. I am still struggling to find some definite direction but at least work is being made. I've included some pictures so you can see things in process. I am trying out several different clay bodies to see how I like working with each and to test them out in the soda kiln. We'll see what happens! I am excited about that element, if nothing else. The opportunity to fire in soda again! ...it THRILLS me...
I've had some ideas start to roll around my brain lately, so I'll likely start those up in the next few days. You never know sometimes. It seems the best way to get these ideas out of my head is to start making them. In some cases they succeed enough to spin me into a new direction. In others, it's the failure that causes me to learn and to move on to something else. It's all part of the process....
All in all, being surrounded by clay and clay artists reminds me why I love this medium. It's also making me see just how lazy I've become. How many different clay bodies exist out there? And how HUGE of a difference can that make on your work? And WHY have I been ignoring such a simple part of the potter's process? I think partly it's money and convenience. I don't always have the money to buy a clay body. I definitely don't have the money to buy a clay mixer (oh, how I wish). And my despise of waste brings me to recycling my clay to the point of it being an indeterminate mixture of white stoneware and porcelain. It works, but is it the best for my work? I don't know the answer. And firing temperature ranges and styles... all sorts of different solutions and approaches to working in clay. I feel like I've been ignoring an elephant in the room for the past 3 years. I have much to consider, much to rethink, and much to test.
My creative funk this year may have been a huge blessing. It has given me enough pause to look into residencies... to get accepted to one, and to make the trip happen. Now that it's here, I am thankful that I have that pause to see all that I haven't thought about in years. Why? I'm not sure. Part laziness, part blindness, part stubborn youth.... I'm sure there is more to it than all that. Whatever the reason, I'm glad to be here and to have the opportunity to feed off other clay artists, their ideas, their process, and to chew on their feedback and encouragement.
I'm thrilled just to be making new work. I'm sure I'll reconsider and reevaluate my work when I get home. I hope to always keep things in check. Every artist should. Given that I have certain opportunities here that are currently unavailable to me back home, I will explore those first and foremost. The rest.... well, I'll have to make time for it on my return.
My studio!
My studio entrance...

The first of the cast feet!
And a peek at what I've been up to!
Those are fantastic!
ReplyDelete